When do you speak english ?

Image Here, you must write in English about the subjects you would like...
Invité

Message par Invité » 05 juillet 2006 01:54

A question to begin this section...

In your job, with english friend's ?

For me, because I work in a 3 strars hotel at reception, I must speak english...

Best regards.

boris
Posteur Habitue
Posteur Habitue

Message par boris » 05 juillet 2006 02:00

well i dont speak english very much in this moment ...

but when i was traveling around the word , that was necessary for me to communicate with the people ... so, i practice directly with everybody in the country...

when i remember that , the best moment of my practice was in vietnam...
all the girl tell me that i was beautifull , and ... i didn't understand her ... that make embarrassed situation ...

Joe el Misterioso
Posteur de Passage
Posteur de Passage

Message par Joe el Misterioso » 05 juillet 2006 05:41

Well, I don't speak it very often, but read a lot and write sometimes.

I receive a lot of newsletters and info related to music and/or informatics. I also participate very often in Yahoo groups and mySpace.

I guess I should pratice it (orally I mean) more often than what I do actually.
"Je viens de Valparaiso au Chili, en France depuis 1978...
http://joezappa.zeblog.com/

Stévenot Gilbert
Fan d'Inter
Fan d'Inter
Genre :

Re: When do you speak english ?

Message par Stévenot Gilbert » 06 juillet 2006 11:37

Dear François,

I would like to be at the reception of a *** stars hotel, just the right place to meet nice looking girls, and have the chance to dream about them for a while, and when they leave, you wait for another return to renew the pleasure. And if sometime, they order a bottle of Mo à  «t et Chandon, you take the lift, and do that extra service yourself, and parhaps have one other chance to discover them scanly dressed. It can be the thrill of of a romance ! This is being said, Iam sure you have a good knowledge of that nice language. Congratulations! So as, I said in my last message, I already knew that you were fluent with it .So we can exchange messages different way. Till soon dear friend.
Maintenir une vie compliquée est un trop long chemin que pour se soustraire à  le changer.

Florence
Petit Posteur
Petit Posteur
Genre :

Message par Florence » 19 juillet 2006 12:34

I speak english at school and when I want talk with american friend's !
But I speak Spanish better that English !

Joe el Misterioso
Posteur de Passage
Posteur de Passage

Message par Joe el Misterioso » 19 juillet 2006 13:03

Florence a écrit :But I speak Spanish better that English !

So do I, arf, arf, arf...
"Je viens de Valparaiso au Chili, en France depuis 1978...
http://joezappa.zeblog.com/

Beat
Posteur Habitue
Posteur Habitue

Message par Beat » 23 novembre 2007 23:44

Anonymous a écrit :A question to begin this section...

In your job, with english friend's ?

For me, because I work in a 3 strars hotel at reception, I must speak english...

Best regards.
For my part, I try me to clear up, it is especially in my work that I use this language, because my company forms everywhere part of a German group having antennas in Europe, Malaysia and Argentina also. If not my area being often full foreign tourists, especially American and Japanese, that is used for to communicate. But it is especially when I go to New York, my fetish city or in London (with Eurostar one is there quickly) that I progress with my English..
Dans votre ascension professionnelle, soyez toujours très gentil pour ceux que vous dépassez en montant. Vous les retrouverez au même endroit en redescendant.

Stévenot Gilbert
Fan d'Inter
Fan d'Inter
Genre :

Message par Stévenot Gilbert » 24 novembre 2007 12:22

Beat a écrit : For my part, I try me to clear up, it is especially in my work that I use this language, because my company forms everywhere part of a German group having antennas in the Europe, Malaysia and Argentina also. If not my area being often full foreign tourists, especially American and Japanese, that is used for to communicate. But it is especially when I go to New York, my fetish city or in London (with Eurostar one is there quickly) that I progress with my English..
Dear Beat,
Your english is very clear and understandable, and it is important when your are part of a big company, which is in relation not only in the Europe of the 24, but more especially in other foreign countries like Germany, the States of America, Malaysia,Argentina, Brazil, China, as well. Let's speak english all over the world, to be understood anywhere, anytime. When you have to work with the media through marketing communications the english is the cornerstone of a firm to reach the biggest industrial successes. Of course when you are in the country itself like in England or in America, you learn more in a few weeks than during years at school, as far as you possess the basic knowledges of it.
When I was at school many years ago, I was learning seven languages at the same time. French,greek, latin, english,german,dutch, and even the slang of my native country. In Belgium,a small country, we speak flemish,german and french, and also a slang or dialect, in the south of my country. Not far from Grand Duchy and Germany.The land of the three borders. A small land indeed, divided by the flemish-speaking politicians and the Walloons. Not with the german part of east, they don't care they are more clever. Six months after election the politicians are "talking" for minister porfolios. There is the big question ! A tempest in a water glass.
To be short with me, I was during the war translater for the Germans and after joined the american army during three years and became interpreter at the top level, the Hqs of the 12th Army Group General Omar N.Bradley.
You can write a message when time allows. With best regards.
Maintenir une vie compliquée est un trop long chemin que pour se soustraire à  le changer.

JoeBAR
Posteur Experimente
Posteur Experimente

Message par JoeBAR » 24 novembre 2007 14:45

Life in the English Forum, what a surprise :-)

A few notes

... Beat's message is signed babelfish or google translation. It's quite obvious from the first part of the first sentence (I try me to clear up). There are also a few problems with words in the wrong place that match the way automated translation work. Even someone with a modest knowledge of English would not make some of these mistakes. Nice effort though, and I'm sure you can speak enough English to correct them :)

My dear Belgian friend, you also made a couple booboo's. I don't wanna appear pedantic, and I'm not taking anyone down. When I came to Britain, I made certain mistakes that noone corrected me for for a very long time and it really annoyed me, especially since they laughed about it in my back (JoeBAR pronounced South 'sooss' for many years ... There are a few others). In you reply to Beat, it's not far, it's long. Also they both translate as 'pour autant que', it's as far as I know, and it's as long as you know the basics. I can't really tell you why, I'm not certain of the rule, but I'm sure of the correction. Also when you speak of a language, it's undefined, so it's English, never the english :) The English would pertain to a person. But I wished I could speak 7 languages as well as you speak English. I'm sure you must manage German and Dutch to a high level of profficency. I learnt German at school as my first foreign language and I was really good at it, but I lost it all after I swaped my foreign languages and later dropped german at college (in French 'Lycée' in this context). I like the tempest, even if we usually call it a storm :wink:

Wawa, computer scientists really benefit from learning English. Most programming languages use English words. Also, like computer languages, English as a little grammar and a few rules on where and how you use certain words. Maybe you'll spend a bit more time on your English classes at school :)

I'm always here for more help should anyone require it :)

Beat
Posteur Habitue
Posteur Habitue

Message par Beat » 24 novembre 2007 16:19

Hello Joe Bar, I warned you, I am limited enough. I do what I can to express me. You are not pedant, you are worse still. Afflicted to be rather direct, it is my nature. Cordially. Beat.
Dans votre ascension professionnelle, soyez toujours très gentil pour ceux que vous dépassez en montant. Vous les retrouverez au même endroit en redescendant.

JoeBAR
Posteur Experimente
Posteur Experimente

Message par JoeBAR » 24 novembre 2007 22:52

Beat a écrit :Hello Joe Bar, I warned you, I am limited enough. I do what I can to express me. You are not pedant, you are worse still. Afflicted to be rather direct, it is my nature. Cordially. Beat.
The goal was to be helpful, obviously you didn't like it. Oh well ...

Stévenot Gilbert
Fan d'Inter
Fan d'Inter
Genre :

Who is who ?

Message par Stévenot Gilbert » 24 novembre 2007 23:25

JoeBAR a écrit :Life in the English Forum, what a surprise :-)

A few notes

... Beat's message is signed babelfish or google translation. It's quite obvious from the first part of the first sentence (I try me to clear up). There are also a few problems with words in the wrong place that match the way automated translation work. Even someone with a modest knowledge of English would not make some of these mistakes. Nice effort though, and I'm sure you can speak enough English to correct them :)

My dear Belgian friend, you also made a couple booboo's. I don't wanna appear pedantic, and I'm not taking anyone down. When I came to Britain, I made certain mistakes that noone corrected me for for a very long time and it really annoyed me, especially since they laughed about it in my back (JoeBAR pronounced South 'sooss' for many years ... There are a few others). In you reply to Beat, it's not far, it's long. Also they both translate as 'pour autant que', it's as far as I know, and it's as long as you know the basics. I can't really tell you why, I'm not certain of the rule, but I'm sure of the correction. Also when you speak of a language, it's undefined, so it's English, never the english :) The English would pertain to a person. But I wished I could speak 7 languages as well as you speak English. I'm sure you must manage German and Dutch to a high level of profficency. I learnt German at school as my first foreign language and I was really good at it, but I lost it all after I swaped my foreign languages and later dropped german at college (in French 'Lycée' in this context). I like the tempest, even if we usually call it a storm :wink:

Wawa, computer scientists really benefit from learning English. Most programming languages use English words. Also, like computer languages, English as a little grammar and a few rules on where and how you use certain words. Maybe you'll spend a bit more time on your English classes at school :)

I'm always here for more help should anyone require it :)
Hello Joebar,life in the English, what a surprise !! Indeed, you can say that again. I didn't appreciate that kind of remark.
To make corrections to a text you ought to know the meaning of the words.
There is a big difference between a boo-boo and a mistake or a turn of phrase. The first means a blunder or an offense in this case. In other words an insult, a slap in the face of Beat, who wanted to know his standard in English,without pretending that he is better than you are.
I will not be long and have no time to waste.What about, as far as I know and as long as I know, there is a difference and I will explain.You can't really tell why, but you are certain of the correction.
As long as I know, means, lenght of time
As far as I know means, an appreciation of knowledge or judging.
I am not taking any one down.instead of saying... I do not want to diminish any one.We can take down our trousers, but can't take any one down,except " that shut him up" It is pejorative.
However that may be, you showed a lack of respect towards Beat.
Beat's English is not signed babelfish,but if you could write French as him, you would be an excellent professor. No hard feeling.

JoeBAR
Posteur Experimente
Posteur Experimente

Re: Who is who ?

Message par JoeBAR » 24 novembre 2007 23:35

Stévenot Gilbert a écrit :
Hello Joebar,life in the English, what a surprise !! Indeed, you can say that again. I didn't appreciate that kind of remark.
To make corrections to a text you ought to know the meaning of the words.
There is a big difference between a boo-boo and a mistake or a turn of phrase. The first means a blunder or an offense in this case. In other words an insult, a slap in the face of Beat, who wanted to know his standard in English,without pretending that he is better than you are.

Where did I say he did?

Stévenot Gilbert a écrit : I will not be long and have no time to waste.What about, as far as I know and as long as I know, there is a difference and I will explain.You can't really tell why, but you are certain of the correction.
As long as I know, means, lenght of time
As far as I know means, an appreciation of knowledge or judging.

Good, and in the context you used it, it's as long, and you justify it yourself!

Stévenot Gilbert a écrit : I am not taking any one down.instead of saying... I do not want to diminish

Indeed, I stand corrected, I picked up some bad habits on irc.

Stévenot Gilbert a écrit : any one.We can take down our trousers, but can't take any one down,except " that shut him up" It is pejorative.
However that may be, you showed a lack of respect towards Beat.
Beat's English is not signed babelfish,but if you could write French as him, you would be an excellent professor. No hard feeling.
No hard feeling.
I also apologise to Beat for showing disrepect, it was not intensional.

Louisa
Posteur Diamant
Posteur Diamant

Message par Louisa » 08 décembre 2007 00:02

wouaou we can even speak and write in English in that virtual community ! and by the way with very good english speaker, euh, writer. (how to you translate euh in english).
that make a long time that i didn't pratice my english, so it is not easy, but a kind of funny, to speak english on a french forum.
to answer the question, for the moment, except now and here, i don't speak or write english in my day to day life. and that a kind of problem, cause i spend 4 month in england 3 years ago to improve my english and i'm actually loosing all my learning... :(

JoeBAR
Posteur Experimente
Posteur Experimente

Message par JoeBAR » 08 décembre 2007 01:15

Louisa a écrit :wouaou we can even speak and write in English in that virtual community ! and by the way with very good english speaker, euh, writer. (how to you translate euh in english).
that make a long time that i didn't pratice my english, so it is not easy, but a kind of funny, to speak english on a french forum.
to answer the question, for the moment, except now and here, i don't speak or write english in my day to day life. and that a kind of problem, cause i spend 4 month in england 3 years ago to improve my english and i'm actually loosing all my learning... :(
You're English is still pretty good Louisa, the odd bit here and there, but it's very clear and understandable. Good effort!

PS on irc and often in life, people use 'mmmh' for 'heu' :D

Répondre

Retourner vers « INTER ENGLISH TALK »