The Power of Nightmares: Vidéo un must à voir

Image Here, you must write in English about the subjects you would like...
Répondre
k4kyv
En bonne voie!!

The Power of Nightmares: Vidéo un must à voir

Message par k4kyv » 02 août 2006 00:15

I just finished viewing the three-hour BBC documentary The Power of Nightmares: The rise of politics of fear written and produced by Adam Curtis. This film originally aired in the UK in 2004, but has yet to be shown in the States because "rights have not been made available" here. However it is easily available over the internet, and I found the film entirely worth spending three hours to watch. At the bottom of this page you will find detailed instructions how to download and view the video using the Google Video player.

In three one-hour episodes, the film explores the origins dating back to the 1940s and 50s of Islamic Fundamentalism in the Middle East and Neoconservatism in America, parallels between these movements, and their effect on the world today. Using archive footage and interviews to describe their extremist agenda of paranoia and fear, it shows how these political and religious ideologies are actually dependent upon each other to generate fear in the general population of people trying to live their daily lives under conditions where these extremists have gained control. Also revealed is the likelihood that al-Qaeda does not exist in the form of a centrally organised world-wide terrorist organisation as we have been lead to believe by governments and news media.

The first episode begins with the following introduction:
Both the Islamists and Neoconservatives were idealists who were born out of the failure of the liberal dream to build a better world. And both had a very similar explanation for what caused that failure. These two groups have changed the world, but not in the way that either intended. Together, they created today's nightmare vision of a secret, organised evil that threatens the world. A fantasy that politicians then found to restore their power and authority in a disillusioned age. And those with the darkest fears became the most powerful.

HOW TO VIEW THE VIDEO

1. Click on the following URL:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1037.htm

When the page opens, click on Part I, Part II or Part III.

2. You can watch the video immediatery by clicking on the arrow at the bottom left of the picture, but far better quality can be had using the Google video player. To do this, click on the button with the Google logo at the bottom right of the picture. A small pop-up will appear above the Google button that reads: "Go to Google Video." Now click directly on that pop-up.

3. You will be redirected to a "Google Video Beta" webpage. The video will immediately begin playing in a larger, higher quality window. You may watch the video in its entirety in this window, but a better option still is to download the video file. Depending on your connection speed and network conditions, the video may abruptly pause for buffering. If you download and save the video file, it can be watched at any time even without an internet connection. Plus, this website could disappear or discontinue the video at any time; this happens on the internet all the time. If you have a dial-up connection, it is almost imperitive to download and save the video file before attempting to view it. The download for each file will take a long time with dialup.

4. If you don't already have the Google Video player, it must be downloaded and installed. Click on the "Download" button to the right of the picture. You will be prompted to follow a link to the video player download. Click on the link, download the video player file and save it to your hard disk. The file name is GoogleVideoPlayerSetup.exe. Click on the file, and you will be instructed how to install the player. It should take only a couple of minutes. Once the player is installed you will not be promted to itstall it again when downloading a video.

5. Create a "Google Video" folder in My Documents, if the download doesn't already do it for you.

6. Now that you have the player installed and a Google Video folder in My Documents, click on the episode (Part I, II or III) you wish to record. It should begin to play in the viewing window on the Google Video webpage. Click on
"Download" once again and when a pop-up appears saying download is complete, open the "Google Video" folder.

7. An icon for the video will appear in the Google Video folder as a .gvp file. Click on this icon. Ignore the video playing on the Google webpage.

8. This will open the Google Video Player window. The video will begin to play in this window, and may be viewed while the file is downloading to the hard drive. A new icon for the video will appear in the Google Video folder as a .gvi file.

This is the saved video. Right click on the icon, then click on "properties" to view the progress of the download. As
soon as the horizontal bar at the bottom of the window is completely filled, the file should be fully downloaded and
saved (check Properties to make sure), and the window may be closed if it is not desired to watch the full video at that
time. The original Google webpage may be closed. The .gvp file may now be deleted.

9. To watch the video at a later time, no net connection is necessary. Just click on the .gvi file. At the bottom of the
window you will see a taskbar. For TV quality, Full Screen mode may be selected. Click on the button with the Google Video logo and select Full Screen. To exit Full Screen, press the Esc key. In Full Screen mode, the taskbar will disappear after a few seconds. It can be made to reappear simply by moving the mouse.

As an alternative to the first three steps described above, you may access the Google Video files directly at these URL's:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8978899371 (part 1)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2690200955 (part 2)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7189127240 (part 3)

A written transcript of all three episodes can be found at:

http://silt3.com/index.php?id=572
Donald

Invité

Message par Invité » 02 août 2006 00:42

Hello k4kyv.

Oh my God you come from United States of America so you can listen et undertand those videos very easily...not me (for the moment).

I've got my dictionary, 3, 2, 1 ... go... I look the first episode.

Thanks.

Excuse for my post's mistakes.

:|

Répondre

Retourner vers « INTER ENGLISH TALK »